The gardens, as we see them today, have gone from creation (by Richard White ,2nd Earl of Bantry), through neglect (from 1930’s-1970’s) to restoration (which began in 1997).
Richard White (1800-1865) fully appreciated his good fortune to inherit a title and a fine house in an extraordinary location. He created a garden with seven terraces to complement the bay overlooked by his house, which he enlarged to accommodate the art collection he formed on his travels.
The fountain within the parterre surrounded by Wisteria sineis and Wisteria floribunda dominates the southern aspect of the house as do the hundred steps leading up to the woodland. The north terraces, with their 14 round beds, are flanked by statues and pots Richard brought from his travels. Facing East, the statue of Diana the Huntress greets the visitor
For further information visit https://www.bantryhouse.com/